in Post-Press and Bindery
HLPS: Come Into the Fold!
Unique among printers is HLPS' awesome folding articles and calculator. Many of the most creative print designers take advantage of complex folds to create truly stunning, memorable pieces. Whether you use these resources or just contact your sales rep, HLPS stands ready to help you with whatever your folding needs.
For those The Folding Terms and Diagrams story in our Resource Center contains both a glossary of folding terms and a visual representation of the most common folds. It features comprehensive, quality information to help you ensure your folded piece is printed to perfection.
We also have our unique Folding Calculator, which provides a panel size calculator for the following five types of standard folds:
- Standard 3-Panel: Only the third panel is reduced, or alternatively keep all panels equal and keep all copy and art in from the trim.
- Accordian Fold: All panels are equal.
- Double Parallel Fold: 4-Panel: 4-panel: only the last panel is reduced to compensate for the push out that will occur.
- Roll Fold: 4-, 5- or 6-Panel: The outer two panels are equal and each panel is reduced consecutively.
- Gate Fold 4-Panel: The center two panels are full size and the outer two panels are reduced.The center two panels are full size and the outer two panels are reduced.
Once you've selected the fold type, the calculator gives you the flexibility to choose the stock (cover or text), the unit of measurement, whether your values are flat or final size, and other selections based on the fold type. It's a great tool for setting up your InDesign files when your piece features a wide variety of standard folds.