in Production Articles
Holland Litho purchases new offline UV coater
Holland Litho has invested in a new offline UV coater! It can produce even more finishes, features gloss that is a lot glossier and now supports soft touch. This is an offline coater mainly for mailers and digital press jobs.
Recently we wrote an article entitled, Tips to Avoid Damaged Direct Mail. One of the options we discussed was the addition of a UV coating when printing postcards, folded self mailers and other items in the letter mail category.
To demonstrate how UV can help with direct mail, Holland Litho has produced some sample pieces to show various sheen options and to demonstrate the level of protection available.
A few thoughts to keep in mind:
- This is an offline UV coating device recommended for mailers and digital print jobs.
- The offline UV coating device can now achieve close to the same high gloss that the UV offset printing press produces.
- You can UV coat one side or two, but the USPS typically only damages the front.
- Matte UV on satin or uncoated paper is almost invisible but does add protection.
In the photo above:
- The top two pieces show the postcard printed on a coated sheet with no UV coating.
- The third piece shows the postcard printed on a coated sheet with Soft Touch UV coating.
- The fourth piece shows the postcard printed on a coated sheet with Matte UV coating.
- The fifth piece shows the postcard printed on a coated sheet with Satin UV coating.
- The sixth piece shows the postcard printed on a coated sheet with Gloss UV coating.
We also produced this very short video where we moved the camera so we could catch the light, so to speak.