HLPS Resource Center
this month's articles
Five Questions to Drive Your Direct Mail StrategyGood direct mail starts with good strategy. Here are five ways to frame your strategy when contemplating direct mail.
» here's our take
Achieving the Best Corporate Colors in CMYKSomestimes you need to build the closest equivalent to a Pantone color using CMYK. How do you keep it consistent?
» make them pop
USPS Summer Promotions 2023Reminder: The USPS has two great promotions that begin this summer. Take advantage of warm-weather savings!
» save on postage
Giving Back Selection: Celebrate RecoveryCelebrate Recovery is a Christ-centered, 12 step recovery program for anyone struggling with hurt, hang-ups, and habits of any kind.
» choose the next winner
What is Giving Back?
For going on 15 years, we've been creating articles for our broadcast email newsletter and then organizing them by subject and posting them on our website. We call this collection the Holland Litho Resource Center, and it contains well over 250 articles (we've been blogging since before blogging was even a thing!). As part of this monthly effort, we pick a charity from submitted nominations and donate up to 10 sets of business cards to them. We call it Giving Back.
You can learn more about our Giving Back initiative on our Information and Nomination page. You can see dozens of our past winners on our Giving Back page.
- Updated 9/27/2022Save Time and Money with a Digital Storefront — Storefronts simplify the creation, ordering and fulfillment of customized, branded materials for your users.
- Updated 8/3/2022Single-wall vs. double-wall boxes — How your project gets to its final destination determines the type of box we use.
pack it in!
- Updated 6/13/2022Direct Mail: EDDM, Saturation and Targeted List Mailings — Let's review the various options you have to mail to your customers and prospects, and the requirements and limitations of each solution.
in the mail
- Updated 4/27/2022Understanding bleed — Bleed ensures that there is enough image when trimming to have the ink extend right up to the edge of the finished piece.
- Updated 7/28/2021Bindery Reference Guide — When it comes to binding, you have a world of options. We've grouped them into six categories, each with lots of examples.
- Updated 10/26/2020The Ultimate Envelope Guide — Find specifications on over 100 sizes in 12 categories, with a downloadable die file available for each envelope.
- Updated 10/31/2019The Absolutely Best Way to Transfer Files — When it comes to sending files, one method is clearly superior to all the others. Here's why.
- Updated 9/4/2019The Importance of Accurate Job Specifications — Remember that printing is custom manufacturing. Getting accurate specs is critical to both the quote process and the start-to-finish printing process.
need to know
- Updated 8/26/2019Basics of Direct Mail — Direct mail remains a highly effective way for you to grow your organization. How do you maximize this marketing investment?
- Updated 5/31/2019Job Release Guidelines — You've worked so hard on your job. Here's a quick overview of what to do when you're ready to send it off.
- Updated 5/31/2019File Set-Up: Easy Ways to Get Documents to Print Correctly — If you use a non-Adobe program to create your files, saving your job so it prints successfully is as easy as 1-2-3.
- Updated 5/31/2019File Set-Up: PDF Guide — Here you'll find the answers to just about every question you have regarding how to prepare your PDFs.
all about pdfs
- Updated 5/31/2019File Set-Up: Packaging with InDesign — If you use InDesign, here are step-by-step instructions on packaging your job files.
collect those files
- Updated 5/31/2019How Many Pages Is My Project? — When describing your project to us for quotation purposes, it is important that we're both on the same page in terms of pages.
here's how to count pages
- Updated 5/30/2019The Ultimate Color Guide — Need a guide to color as it relates to printing? You can find it here, along with links to related articles.
the eyes have it
- Updated 4/30/2018The Ultimate Paper Guide — Look no further if you need a great set of tutorials covering all paper topics.
click and icon to learn more
- Updated 10/16/2017Infographic: A Smooth Order in Four Easy Steps — Follow these four steps when placing an order with us from a quote we've supplied.
- Updated 2/26/2023Holland Litho Once Again Earns Accreditation by the Better Business Bureau — BBB's vision is to create an ethical marketplace where buyers and sellers trust each other.
- Updated 1/30/2022PI300: We moved up another 18! — Holland Litho moves up to 211 in Printing Impressions' annual rankings of the top 300 North American printers.
- Updated 11/4/2021Reminder: Holland Litho Accepts ACH Payments — This payment method provides one of the easiest ways to pay for our services, without any surcharge.
- Updated 10/4/2021Holland Litho Sponsors UCDA Design Conference — Holland Litho is pleased to have sponsored the UCDA Design Conference.
- Updated 5/11/2021Tulip Time reveals 2019 Art in Bloom Winner, Carolyn Stich — Her winning entry, entitled Enduring Delft is a beautiful floral illustration reminiscent of antique wallpaper.
see the winner
- Updated 1/21/2021Printing Impressions 2020: We Jumped 41 to 229! — Thanks to you, Holland Litho is now ranked number 229 in Printing Impressions' list of the top 350 printers in North America.
moving on up!
- Updated 1/20/2021Printing Impressions 2019: We Jumped 32 to 270! — Thanks to you, Holland Litho is now ranked number 270 in Printing Impressions' list of the top 400 printers in North America.
- Updated 10/28/2020Holland Litho Sponsors UCDA Design Conference — Holland Litho is pleased to announce it sponsored the 50th Annual UCDA Design Conference, held virtually this past month.
- Updated 9/29/2020Holland Litho Sponsors Do More Good Conference — Holland Litho is pleased to sponsor the Do More Good conference on October 1, 2020.
- Updated 5/19/2020Introducing the Cap-Shield! — Our new Cap-Shield attaches easily to the brim of your ball cap and can be imprinted with your logo.
check it out
- Updated 3/5/2020Holland Litho Participates in Joy99's New Match Game! — Holland Litho is providing a prize for the new radio station Joy99 Match Game for 2020.
listen at 7:20 am!
- Updated 1/16/2020We had a great 2019. Here's to an even better 2020. — Your support of Holland Litho keeps dollars in our community and for that we are so thankful.
- Updated 11/21/2019Happy Thanksgiving from Your Friends at Holland Litho — Wishing you and your family all the best next Thursday.
- Updated 10/31/2019Photos: Holland Litho Celebration of Paper Event — Check out nearly 50 photos from this spectacular event.
view the photos
- Updated 9/26/2019Paper Event — Use this form to RSVP for our 2019 Holland Litho Celebration of Paper, to be held in Grand Rapids on October 3.
- Updated 9/4/2019Holland Litho Paves the Way! — Despite a high-speed car chase and crash in front of our plant last week, our new parking lots are nearly completed.
oh no she didn't
- Updated 9/3/2019Holland Litho's Celebration of Paper Event — Join us on October 3, 2019 from 4pm - 7pm for our 2019 Celebration of Paper Event in Grand Rapids. RSVP required; click to access the form.
come celebrate paper!
- Updated 3/27/2019HLPS Achieves Top Rating with the Better Business Bureau — Holland Litho has received an A+ ranking from the Better Business Bureau.
- Updated 1/29/2019Holland Litho Rises to 302 on the Printing Impressions 400 List — We're growing, rising from 313 to 302 in Printing Impression's annual ranking of the nation's top 400 printing firms. Thanks!
let's grow together
- Updated 12/7/2018Holland Litho achieves G7 Master Qualification — Holland Litho Printing Service has achieved G7 Master Qualification in all three levels of certification.
- Updated 9/8/2018Calling All Designers and Print Buyers: Inspiration Awaits! — Holland Litho is revamping its samples area! Stop by and get some great ideas on how to innovate with print.
fill it up!
- Updated 11/15/20222023 Calendar Images — We are pleased to announce the winners of our 2023 Calendar Contest. Want one? They are free! Just ask your sales rep.
see the images
- Updated 11/4/20212021 Calendar Images — We are pleased to announce the winners of our 2021 Calendar Contest. Want one? They are free! Just ask your sales rep.
see the images
- Updated 11/4/20212020 Calendar Images — We are pleased to announce the winners of our 2020 Calendar Contest. Want one? They are free! Just ask your sales rep.
see the images
- Updated 11/3/20212022 Calendar Images — We are pleased to announce the winners of our 2022 Calendar Contest. Want one? They are free! Just ask your sales rep.
see the images
- Updated 5/4/2020Submit your photos for Holland Litho's calendar contest — It seems like a good time for all of you shutterbugs to be taking some great photos for our annual calendar.
how to submit
- Updated 10/26/20182019 Calendar Images — We are pleased to announce the winners of our 2019 Calendar Contest. Want one? They are free! Just ask your sales rep.
see the images
- Updated 10/26/20182018 HLPS Calendar Images — HLPS' 2018 calendar is a gorgeous celebration of Michigan in all of its splendor, and it's completely free.
- Updated 12/7/20172018 HLPS Calendar Images — Get a look at the incredible HLPS 2018 calendar images! Give your sales rep a call to get your copy.
check them out!
- Updated 10/31/20162017 HLPS Calendar Images — Get a preview of the HLPS 2017 calendar images, or check out the overall design via our new PDF flipbook implementation.
check them out!
- Updated 7/13/20162016 HLPS Calendar Images — Check out the winning images selected for our 2014 calendar.
- Updated 7/13/20162015 HLPS Calendar Images — Check out the winning images selected for our 2014 calendar.
- Updated 7/13/20162014 HLPS Calendar Images — Check out the winning images selected for our 2014 calendar.
- Updated 7/13/20162013 Calendar Photo Selections — We are pleased to announce the winners of our 2013 calendar contest.
preview the winners
- Updated 7/13/20162012 Calendar Selections — We've made the selections for our 2012 calendar. Check them out here!
view the hls 2012 calendar images
- Updated 6/29/20162011 Calendar Selections — We had dozens of great submissions, and these are the ones that we've chosen for our 2011 calendar.
see the winners
- Updated 6/29/20162010 Calendar Selections — Check out the photographs selected for our 2010 Holland Litho Calendar.
go to the 2010 calendar images
- Updated 3/25/2019HLPS Prints Book on Great Seal — Holland Litho is pleased to have produced a book on the symbology of the Great Seal of the United States.
signed and sealed
- Updated 12/19/2018Amazon Turns to Print to Market Toys This Holiday Season — The latest validator of the value of print? Why, it’s the largest online retailer — Amazon!
print to click
- Updated 9/8/2018HLPS Prints Canning Full Circle Cookbook — Holland Litho was honored to produce the first edition of author Diane Devereaux's cookbook, Canning Full Circle.
- Updated 5/31/2018Canning Full Circle: Garden to Jar to Table wins IPPY Award — The Canning Diva won the 2018 IPPY Bronze Medal in the Cookbook — Nutrition/Vegetarian category.
- Updated 2/23/2018Print and eCommerce: The Case of Restoration Hardware — Like many successful retailers, Restoration Hardware uses a combination of retail stores, a robust e-commerce presence, and a print catalog to drive branding and sales.
- Updated 5/31/2017Not Quite One in a Million, but Just About! — The customer called about a "do not mail" request and the address was inadvertently left on the list. Too late, right?
we found it
- Updated 3/29/2017View 366: A Year-long Visual Story of the St. Joseph Lighthouses — HLPS had the pleasure of working with client Laura Kraklau to print her coffee table book telling the St. Joseph Lighthouses story.
- Updated 1/3/2017Case Study: Why Specifications Are So Important — The customer could have easily shaved two days off the turn-around had they followed some simple best practices.
read the case study
- Updated 11/7/2016Case Study: Print Outperforms When It Comes to Fundraising — LHA recently partnered with HLPS to print and mail their annual appeal. One key to their success: the remittance envelope!
- Updated 10/6/2021Four Fall Projects Your Organization Should Consider — With fall upon us, it's time once again to focus on your marketing plans for the holidays.
- Updated 12/14/2020Meet Our Marketing Partner — Patrick White lives in the best Christmas town in America, according to Country Living Magazine.
- Updated 6/4/2020On-Demand Stay Safe Posters — Did you know the CDC produced nearly 40 stay safe posters to help deal with our current crisis? Holland Litho can print these posters for you.
view and order
- Updated 5/20/2020Disposable Menus: The Way to Go! — Holland Litho can print and fold your disposable menus in any quantity you need.
one and done
- Updated 10/31/2019Annual appeal letters: dos and do nots — Remember, your annual appeal is a totally different kind of direct mail. Here are some simple rules to achieve peak performance.
do's and don'ts
- Updated 6/26/2019Better Business Bureau story features Holland Litho — We are so honored that the Better Business Bureau toured our plant recently and wrote an amazing story on the company.
read their review
- Updated 6/26/2019Feedback favorites: what our customers have to say — It's always great to hear from you! We'd like to share with you some of the feedback we've received over the past few years.
nice to hear
- Updated 9/8/2018HLPS Prints Beautiful Frozen In Time Book — Frozen In Time is a book documenting two of the recent harshest winters on Lake Michigan’s east coast, in beautiful photographic form.
- Updated 6/20/2018Video: HLPS Helps Joni and Friends — HLPS staff donated time and resources to Joni and Friends at their multi-day retreat for disabled people.
watch the videos
- Updated 6/11/2018HLPS Launches New, Innovative Website — Site features include new, searchable FAQs, over 100 sample photos and a set of really cool, fully integrated tools.
check it out!
- Updated 6/6/2018In Case You Are New to Our Resource Center... — Here's why we think it has value, along with a collection of our favorite articles.
browse our best
- Updated 12/19/2017Happy Holidays from Holland Litho! — We at Holland Litho wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!
- Updated 12/30/2016Check Our Our Virtual Holiday Card — In case you missed it, take a look at our 2016 Christmas and New Year's card. Have a great 2017!
view our card
- Updated 8/2/2016Volunteering with Joni and Friends — HLPS staff provided power boat rides and brought two beautiful horses for the families to enjoy riding.
see the video
- Updated 8/2/2016HLPS Volunteers Replace a Roof for a Co-Worker — Holland Litho crews worked after hours and on their own time to put a roof onto the house of a co-worker.
see the photos
- Updated 7/7/2016Video: How an HLPS Employee Had to Keep a Secret from her Mom — Holland Litho digital press operator Uliana Goncharova can sure keep a secret.
all in the family
- Updated 7/6/2016Summer: a great time to print! — Our customers already know us as a highly competitive Michigan printer with great turn-around, and now that's more true than ever.
- Updated 6/29/2016From Western Michigan to East Africa — Jim and Mary VanderWal moved to Ethiopia to serve with the mission organization SIM in Ethiopia.
- Updated 6/29/2016VaRoom! Holland Litho's Unsung Heroes — Day in and day out, Holland's fleet drivers deliver your jobs. Here is their story.
learn more about holland's fleet and its drivers
- Updated 6/29/2016HLPS Prints the ADDY Best-of-Show Piece — We printed the catalog that went on to win the Western MI Addy's Best of Show Award.
glad for addy
- Updated 4/4/2016HLPS Attends the Christian Camp Michigan Sectional Conference — We recently attended the Christian Camp and Conference Association's Michigan Sectional Conference at Gull Lake Ministries.
- Updated 2/24/2016Like Our All New Facebook Page! — We've completely revamped our Facebook page with new photos, posts and more!
- Updated 3/27/2012What Our Customers Have to Say — We regularly receive notes of praise from our customers, some of which we'd like to share with you.
read the feedback
- Updated 2/28/2023Watch Those Borders! — Beware of borders! With them, your results may not be visually ideal.
- Updated 2/22/2023Disturbing Implications: PostScript Fonts Discontinued — Support for the font format has been discontinued as of February 2023 for most Adobe programs including Acrobat, Photoshop and InDesign.
- Updated 2/20/2023Recent Adobe Guidance on Type 1 Fonts — We've quoted directly from Adobe's latest guidance on Type 1 fonts and responded with our thoughts.
read our thoughts
- Updated 12/2/2022Adobe Products Shift Colors Due to Pantone Library Changes — New Pantone Connect plug-in, which has replaced Adobe's built-in functionality, leaves many users frustrated.
- Updated 8/27/2021We Modified Your Files. Want Them Back? — Did you ask us to modify your files? We can always send these updated files back to you. All you have to do is ask.
back for the future
- Updated 8/27/2021Deeper Dive: Press Checks Explained — A press check is a last-chance type of proof typically used to confirm color accuracy.
check it out!
- Updated 7/26/2021Mark This: 15 Important Logo Design Trends — Lines! Curves! Colors! Shade! We feature 15 trends and 60 logos from the LogoLounge Trend Report.
the best new logos
- Updated 5/11/2021New Logo Design Trends — Logo Lounge has released its Logo Trends Report, a fascinating take on key trends in brand and identity creation.
see 60 logos
- Updated 8/31/2020Color Challenges: How to Choose the Right Color for Your Project — We've all seen the challenge: what you thought you were choosing doesn't match what ends up on the printed page.
seeing is believing
- Updated 11/22/2019Identify a Font by Uploading a Photo of It — MyFonts.com lets you upload an image of text to identify the typeface. We tested it with 40 randomly selected fonts to see how well it works.
- Updated 11/22/2019Setting Up Folders in InDesign — Setting up jobs that require die cuts such as folders and packaging is easy if you follow these simple guidelines.
setting up a die-cut job
- Updated 11/21/2019Font Files and Formats — Postscript! TrueType! OpenType! Learn all about these font formats and much, much more!
- Updated 11/21/201912 Easy-to-Understand Examples of How Posters Work — Review 12 posters from the Cooper Hewitt/Smithsonian Museum How Posters Work Exhibit and see an example of each.
see some posters
- Updated 4/30/2019Acrobat Document Review Helps Creatives Streamline Approvals — The traditional creative process can be challenging to manage especially when there's multiple reviewers. Now there's a better way.
review and approve
- Updated 9/8/2018Animations Reveal How Logos Evolve — These awesome gifs that tell the story of how the logos of 12 big companies have evolved through each's history.
watch them change
- Updated 8/30/2018Your Source for Inspiration — You might not realize it, but our sample room is an incredible place to visit for inspiration or just to celebrate the beauty of print.
visit our sample room
- Updated 7/12/2018Cost Savings Checklist — Check out our cost savings checklist to keep your marketing costs down.
read the list
- Updated 9/28/2017Return on investment in design — Firms that won design awards saw an immediate increase in stock price, according to a study of 264 firms over 13 years.
- Updated 9/22/2017Type Terms, Tips and Tweaks — Kerning vs. tracking. Descenders, ascenders and baselines. Sixteen type classifications. Master this and be a type guru!
- Updated 8/9/2017It's not too late to produce a calendar for next year — As you probably know, Holland Litho has a great deal of experience producing calendars. We'd love to help you with yours.
check the date
- Updated 7/11/2017Psychology-Based Color Palettes — For a wacky take, visit this site that purports to use pyschology to build your palette.
- Updated 7/11/2017Six Cutting Edge Logo/Identity Design Trends — Check out these six logo trends, from flat designs to monolines, for cutting edge identity design.
see the trends
- Updated 7/10/2017Creating Logos and Other Design Marks — If you are considering a new or redesigned logo and/or corporate identity, here are some ideas to keep in mind.
corporate identity considerations
- Updated 6/29/2016The Ultimate CMYK Duotone Guide — We selected 25 portraits and applied different CMYK duotone to each image. You can even download the curves we used.
view the duotone guide
- Updated 6/29/2016Pocket Folder Inspiration — Explore some great pocket folder links, each with free die outlines available for download.
- Updated 1/27/2016Envato Market: A Creative Resource Like No Other — Envato features over 4.5 million digital products created by designers, developers, photographers, illustrators and producers.
visit the marketplace
- Updated 1/12/201628 Design Terms Every Marketer Should Know — Check out this great infographic of 28 design terms that every marketer should know.
know your terms
- Updated 5/15/2013Pantone and the Value of Great Identity Design — A brand so strong its target audience pays a premium to see it on a mug? Impossible? Not for Pantone.
- Updated 5/1/2023Shorter Runs Result in Higher Per-Unit Cost — Print longer runs to keep your per unit costs down.
- Updated 12/15/2021Get Your FREE Guide to Printing With Silver and White Ink — Holland Litho has produced a beautiful four-page guide to printing with silver and white ink. Get yours for free!
request a copy
- Updated 7/23/2020Holland Litho Offers a Rainbow of Metallic Colors with a Base of Silver! — You an digitally print a base of silver as a fifth color, opening the door to a fantastic palette of over 250 metallic colors with fantastic lustre.
add some sparkle
- Updated 11/21/2019
- Updated 9/8/2018Digital Printing: Folding Improvements — We have a new secret weapon when it comes to digitally-printed folders, brochures, etc. that eliminates cracked ink along the fold.
- Updated 9/8/2018Conditional Logic and Variable Data — With all of today's advance personalization and versioning options, writing a letter can be as tricky as writing computer code!
- Updated 3/24/2018Digital Printing Data Strategies — If you are looking for a practical guide to what's possible with variable data, here it is.
- Updated 9/27/2017Digital printing guides now available online — Holland Litho has posted three digital printing guidebooks on our website. These guidebooks cover a variety of topics.
view the guides
- Updated 8/1/2017On Demand, Jim Rockford Style — Digital printing used to be hard. Now it's much easier. See just how hard with these two examples from history.
- Updated 7/10/2017Case Study: Personalize Your Conference — 1:1 personalization is a lot more than names. Here is an example of what you can do.
read the case study
- Updated 5/31/2017HLPS prints white ink with our Indigo digital press — Digital white-ink printing has arrived! Our new Indigo digital press can print with white ink on color or black stock.
new ways to print
- Updated 11/14/2016HLPS invests in a new Indigo 7900 digital press — The HP Indigo 7900 Digital Press is the market-leading 13 x 19 inch format digital sheetfed press.
- Updated 6/29/2016Holland Litho Dimensional Printing — Whether it's a brochure, a postcard or a poster, our dimensional printing capability gives you a fantastic way to improve your piece's impact. Here's how!
learn more about dimensional printing
- Updated 6/29/2016Holland Goes Wide and Long — Holland Litho can print posters and banners up to 42 in. x 30 ft.
go wide and long
- Updated 6/29/2016Holland Litho NexPress SE 2500 — Our digital press offers a range of features you just can't achieve with other types of presses. First among them: Dimensional imaging.
go to the nexpress article images
- Updated 6/29/2016Holland Litho Prints Digital Envelopes — Holland Litho prints digital envelopes in-house. Get the details here!
get quality envelopes from holland litho
- Updated 6/29/2016NexPress Capabilties — For a good sense of the capabilities of our digital NexPress printing system, watch this video. It's geared partially toward printers, but will give you a great sense of the system's power and innovative capabilities.
watch the video
- Updated 8/28/2014Digital Printing Production Tips — Review our quick list of considerations when you plan to print your project digitally.
review the tips
- Updated 5/31/2023USPS Summer Promotions 2023 — Reminder: The USPS has two great promotions that begin this summer. Take advantage of warm-weather savings!
save on postage
- Updated 5/31/2023Five Questions to Drive Your Direct Mail Strategy — Good direct mail starts with good strategy. Here are five ways to frame your strategy when contemplating direct mail.
here's our take
- Updated 5/16/2022Young Consumers Embrace Direct Mail — Response rates for physical mailers high among Gen Z and Millennial consumers.
- Updated 8/30/2021RSVP: Mailer Reply Options — You want to include a reply postcard, insert and/or envelope with your mailer. Here are three options to consider.
- Updated 9/30/2020Predicting USPS In-Home Delivery Dates — Covid has added a twist to the Delivery Standards for First Class and Marketing Mail.
- Updated 8/27/2020The Art and Science of De-Duping a List — The decisions that go into deduping can be complex, and should be driven by your marketing goals.
it's all in a name
- Updated 7/29/2020Direct Mail: Replace In-Person Marketing for Literature Distribution — With the limit on indoor gatherings, direct mail can be a critical tool for you to use to get your message out there.
adapt and evolve
- Updated 5/4/2020Postcard and Self-Mailer Templates — We've packaged eight InDesign templates covering a range of popular postcard and self-mailer sizes.
- Updated 11/21/2019Superior Mail Results with Image Personalization — Quality Lakeshore Landscaping enjoyed fantastic results with a recent postcard campaign. Here's how.
- Updated 7/10/2019Nordstrom and J.Jill See Sharp Decline in Profits After Abandoning Direct Mail — These retailers recently learned the hard way that shaving expenses by eliminating direct mail can be disastrous.
- Updated 5/1/2019Writing Direct Mail Copy: 10 Point Checklist — Like the fisherman's lures, good direct mail copy is critical to a mailer's success. Here's some pointers on how to write it.
call to action
- Updated 4/23/2019Powerful List Profiling Solution for Direct Marketers — Now there's an easy-to-use tool to statistically profile your best B2B or B2C customers.
- Updated 1/28/2019Design with Mail in Mind — Here are some strategies to keep costs down when designing direct mail.
direct mail design tips
- Updated 10/26/2018Make the Most of Your List Strategy — Here's an overview of list best practices, as well as services and solutions we offer to get the best response when you mail.
- Updated 9/8/2018After a Long Hiatus, JCPenney Is Again Mailing a Catalog — The retailer discontinued its iconic Big Book in 2009. Here's why they've decided they need mailings after all.
- Updated 7/12/2018Seven Tips to Direct Mail Design — Creative plays a big role in the effectiveness of your mailer.
mail design tips
- Updated 5/31/2018Holland Litho Attends the National Postal Forum — We sent our team to learn about cutting edge technologies and offerings such as Informed Delivery and Informed Visibility.
- Updated 5/31/2018Mail Goes Multi-channel with the USPS Informed Delivery Service — USPS has launched an exciting new service called Informed Delivery. It's rapidly expanding with 5 million+ subscribers.
- Updated 3/24/2018Direct Mail Delivers Best B2C ROI — Target Marketing Magazine readers indicated B2B delivers the best ROI for B2C among all types of approaches.
our review and link
- Updated 3/24/2018Newsletters... Reeling in the Readers — Identify the eight type of stories that get the best readership, design strategies and much more.
get more readers
- Updated 3/24/201817 Ways to Increase Response Rates — With successful direct response campaigns, three critical elements converge to entice your readers to take action. Those three elements are the list, the offer and the creative.
- Updated 3/24/2018Postcards Outside the Box — These postcard design tips focus on print options that add value by increasing response rate.
- Updated 3/24/2018Postcard + Newsletter = Perfect Match? — The postcard newsletter is a great concept, allowing you to provide valuable information in a condensed format that is more likely to get read.
see some samples
- Updated 3/24/2018Photoshop Variables Tutorial — Want to create variable image objects using Photoshop? Here's how.
- Updated 3/24/2018List Acquisition — Read all about list acquisition, consumer and business lists, and the secret sauce of great campaigns.
more on lists
- Updated 9/7/2017We Do Direct Mail! — When it comes to direct mail, we've got all the services you need under one roof. Your campaign will proceed smoothly and effectively.
direct mail services
- Updated 7/10/2017Four Subject + Headline Strategies to Get More Opens — An email has a subject, a direct mail piece has a headline, but really they function the same: Open it and read on! Here are four strategies to get more readers to do just that.
- Updated 1/19/2017Focus on Great Envelopes — Ah, the envelope. Often the ugly stepchild of the direct mail piece or corporate identity. That's a shame, because it's easy to avoid!
- Updated 6/29/2016Postcards...5 Tips for Better Results — A simple checklist to make sure you are getting the best results from your postcard mailings.
go to the 5 postcard tips article
- Updated 6/29/2016Variable Images: Scrollable Samples — 170 of our variable data image samples formatted as a simple, scrollable list.
- Updated 6/29/2016Flowmaster Match Inserter and Moll Gluer — HLPS continues to invest in cutting edge technology, as evidenced by our newest technology additions.
- Updated 6/29/2016Holland Litho Does Mail! — We deliver to the Holland Grand Rapids Post Offices daily.
learn more about total direct
- Updated 1/12/2016Niches: Big Data Comes to Print List Sourcing — Niches is a proprietary segmentation tool that uses demographic elements to group a household into one of 26 specific clusters.
see all 26
- Updated 9/5/2012Five Ways to Improve Your Postcards — The postcard is simple, cost-effective and can deliver results. To get the best response from yours, keep these five tips in mind.
five tips to better postcards
- Updated 5/23/2012Using Print to Build Your Email List — Would you like to see your email newsletter list grow more quickly? Here's how you can build your email list using print.
see how you can use print
- Updated 3/15/2012Most Important Landing Page Feature — What is the single most important feature of any landing page? It's the laser focus on getting the reader to take the next step in your marketing effort.
learn more about landing page strategies
- Updated 12/14/2021Holland Litho Successfully Passes FSC Audit/Renewal — Holland Litho recently completed an audit/renewal by Bureau Veritas, the compliance arm of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
- Updated 12/14/2021Calculate the Impact of Specifying Recycled Stock — Did you know that Holland Litho provides a recycling calculator its website?
- Updated 8/21/2019Holland Litho Receives FSC Certification — FSC certification provides a credible link between responsible production and consumption of forest products.
about fsc certification
- Updated 9/8/2018Apple and The Conservation Fund Partner on Forests — Apple is working to promote sustainable forestry to protect working forests in Maine and North Carolina.
- Updated 10/12/2017
- Updated 10/12/2017Recycled Calculator: Environmental Impact — Review the details as to the impact of your recycled stock choices.
recycled by the numbers
- Updated 8/1/2017Eco-Friendly Brainstorm — Looking for ways to become an even greener mailer? Check out these suggestions.
- Updated 8/1/2017Greener Mail — Looking for ways to become an even greener mailer? Check out these suggestions from the USPS and the Direct Mail Association.
- Updated 7/10/2017
- Updated 7/10/2017Green Your Mind. The Rest Will Follow. — Switch your bulbs, why choose the tap tap and other tips on how a little green can make a big difference.
- Updated 11/11/2012Video: Penguins Discuss Recycling — Some friends of ours from north of the border (or maybe way, way south) discuss our 2011 recycling report.
watch the waddle
Equipment and Capabilities
- Updated 5/4/2021Achieving More Accurate Color on Both Uncoated and Coated Stocks — Our presses achieve the brightness of printing on coated even when you use an uncoated stock.
see it for yourself
- Updated 5/31/2023Giving Back Selection: Celebrate Recovery — Celebrate Recovery is a Christ-centered, 12 step recovery program for anyone struggling with hurt, hang-ups, and habits of any kind.
choose the next winner
- Updated 9/28/2022Giving Back: Information and nomination form — Find out more about Giving Back and use this form to nominate your favorite charity.
- Updated 12/16/2021Holland Litho's Giving Isn't Just During the Holidays — Holland Litho is committed to giving back!
- Updated 8/9/2021Making a Difference for Our Local Homeless — Holland Litho takes part in an effort to help support those in need.
- Updated 6/15/2021Holland Litho helps Joni and Friends — Joni and Friends has once again provided people who are affected by disability with unique outdoor experiences. We were happy to help.
see the photos
- Updated 6/11/2018Letter from the Equest Center, another Giving Back winner — We received this letter from Kathy at the Equest Center.
read the letter
- Updated 12/18/2017Our Commitment to Giving Is All Year Long! — If you're looking for a great way to support God's message this holiday season, consider a gift to Cornerstone University's radio station, WCSG.
- Updated 12/6/2017Bringing Joy to Joni and Friends: Image Gallery — Once again this summer we had the honor of working with Joni and Friends to bring joy to their community of disabled youth.
see the images
- Updated 6/29/2016Letter from Habitat for Humanity — Giving Back winner Habitat for Humanity had these kind words for Holland Litho.
read the letter
Images and Color
- Updated 5/31/2023Achieving the Best Corporate Colors in CMYK — Somestimes you need to build the closest equivalent to a Pantone color using CMYK. How do you keep it consistent?
make them pop
- Updated 2/27/2023New PANTONE Formula Guides Contain Incorrect Ink Formulations — Several errors have crept into the new PANTONE 2023 fan decks. Let the buyer beware before purchasing!
- Updated 1/30/2023What Now? And How? FYI for Photoshop Users — Users of Creative Cloud applications and Pantone color tools should get all the information they can before deciding how to proceed.
- Updated 1/30/2023Color Me Frustrated: Users React to Adobe, Pantone Rift Over PMS Libraries — As a service to its members and to the industry in general, Printing Industries Alliance presents this overview of the Adobe/Pantone situation and its consequences for end-users.
- Updated 7/15/2022Creating Color Harmonies — Creating beautiful color schemes is easy if you rely on any of the tried and true visual harmonies, regardless of whether it's print or web.
- Updated 3/3/2022GRACol and G7: Standardizing Color Appearance — Holland Litho has been certified by a third party in GRACoL 7, allowing us to produce consistent color across all devices.
- Updated 6/16/2021Understanding Image Resolution Requirements for Printing — See the difference between low- and high-resolution images and why it matters for printing.
- Updated 11/22/201916-Bit Images: Better than JPGs — We opened an image as both 8-and 16-bit. Compare the two after a few adjustments and you'll see why.
see for yourself
- Updated 4/30/2019Converting Drop Shadows from CMYK to Black Only — CMYK drop shadows can be problematic: Here's how to convert them to black only.
- Updated 3/27/2019Stock Photo Demand Letters — How you can avoid getting a stock agency demand letter for copyright infringement.
- Updated 3/24/2018Digital Photography... Take Your Best Shot — Tips for taking great digital photographs!
start your studio
- Updated 3/24/2018Image Scaling Limitations — How much can you scale an original photograph? This article provides the answers.
- Updated 3/24/2018Eight Great, Really Free Stock Image Websites — We set out this month to find really great, truly free (even for commercial use) stock photo web sites.
see our picks
- Updated 3/24/2018RGB To CMYK... What You Need to Know — For a quick but thorough review of color theory and how it applies to creative, production and printing, look no further than this article.
- Updated 7/11/2017Images: Resize, then Import — With image-intensive projects, you should always resize images before importing them into your layouts.
- Updated 7/11/2017Take the Color IQ Test — This unique test gives you a grade beyond pass or fail.
test your perception
- Updated 7/10/2017Amazing 100-year-old Images from the Ill-Fated Endurance Voyage to Antarctica — These early color photographs of Antarctica were taken by Frank Hurley in 1915 at the age of 30.
view the photos
- Updated 7/7/2016Must-Have InDesign Print Utility: LinkOptimizer — LinkOptimizer is a great utility to ensure your images are sized correctly.
- Updated 12/16/2015Pixabay: 520,000 Free Images — Here's a free stock image resource for you to check out to keep your image costs down.
see some images
- Updated 12/3/2013Key Concepts: Photography Basics — Learn about f-stop, ISO and other key concepts with sample images referenced.
more on clicking
- Updated 8/27/2013Improving Web JPGs for Print — Need to print an image graphic from the Web? Here's how to reduce the JPG artifacts in your original.
how to fix jpgs
- Updated 6/15/2012New Thoughts on RGB and CMYK — you are looking for critical, consistent color as you reuse images across your marketing plan, give us a call. We can help make it easier to get the consistent results you are looking for.
go to the rgb-cmyk article
- Updated 4/19/2022Junk Email — Junk email has largely replaced the now-dated term junk mail. Direct mail has increased in value and utility over the past decade.
- Updated 4/11/2022Turbo-Charging Your Sales with Print Catalogs and Data-Driven Marketing — Researchers compared the impact of email marketing only vs. email and print catalogs over six months.
what did they find?
- Updated 6/25/2020People Prefer Paper Packaging — Two Sides North America announces results Of Packaging Preferences 2020 Survey.
what they like
- Updated 8/1/201917 Reasons to Consider a Calendar — Calendars are great promotional tools. Here are 17 reasons why!
save the date
- Updated 7/24/2019Crafting Your Unique Selling Proposition — While others may sell products or services that compete with yours, chances are pretty good you have a unique story to tell.
identify what they are
- Updated 10/29/2018Comprehensive Guide to Surveys — Learn the fundamentals of creating, deploying and optimizing customer surveys.
all about surveys
- Updated 9/7/2018Five Great Videos on the Art of Storytelling — Take a look at these videos to see how storytelling can make you a more interesting and effective communicator.
- Updated 9/7/2018Data Mining for the Rest of Us — Small businesses can use simple data collection methods to gain insight into opportunities, design promotions, and ultimately sell more.
read the case study
- Updated 8/28/2018CNBC: Why Millennials Love Catalogs — CNBC is yet another example of a major media outlet profiling the value to marketers of catalogs.
- Updated 8/1/2018A Super Cool Type of Table Tent — Table tents are a proven way to increase per-customer revenue. Here's an alternate table tent design that is really easy and super cool!
see for yourself
- Updated 3/24/2018Comprehensive Testing Primer — This mini-whitepaper provides a primer on testing strategies, concepts and options.
test case scenarios
- Updated 3/24/2018List Rental: Great for Print, but not Email — List rental has been a standard practice in the direct mail industry for years. Email marketing, not so much.
- Updated 3/24/2018The Psychology of Social Timing — Use a little psychology to determine the best time of the day to send your email campaigns!
when to send what
- Updated 3/24/2018Determining Your Pricing — Some considerations to keep in mind when determining your pricing.
- Updated 3/24/2018Return-On-Investment (ROI) — Some thoughts on creating and communicating an effective ROI message.
read more on roi
- Updated 8/1/2017Why Print? — The catalyst for this story is a fantastic brochure produced by The Print Council simply titled Why Print?
go to why print article
- Updated 8/1/2017Experiential Marketing and the Role of Direct Mail — Experiential marketing is a strategy to engage consumers and invites and encourages them to become a participant in a brand.
- Updated 7/11/20171:1 Marketing and Variable Data Printing — This article delves into the concepts driving one-to-marketing and digital printing, touching on databases.
- Updated 7/10/2017Creating Great Buttons: Cues from 10 Great Websites — See the button styles of ten great websites, with four expert tips from a renowned designer.
see some buttons
- Updated 5/29/2017SMS/Mobile Best Practices — Considering a mobile campaign? Follow these six SMS best practices to avoid the dreaded STOP.
- Updated 1/26/20179 Tips to Creating Great Content for Boring Industries — Even if you are in an industry that some might not find exciting, you can still create thoughtful, engaging content your target audience will read.
spice it up
- Updated 10/12/2016Free, ALL CAPS now OK for Email — Return Path sees no negative impact of using in email, but it may make you feel a bit queasy.
read this, it's free
- Updated 7/6/2016B2B Survey: 64% rely on direct mail — B2B respondents listed direct mail as a critical component of their marketing mix.
- Updated 6/29/2016Often-Overlooked Rules of Grammar — Review the finer points of grammar, the little things that can make all the difference, to see if your writing complies.
- Updated 6/29/2016Kindra Hall: Great Ideas on Storytelling — A storytelling expert, with a huge dose of passion, she advocates a process to construct your unique story.
- Updated 6/29/2016Copy: Penny Pinchers vs. Spendthrifts — How you should change your approach to copy for both spendthrifts and penny pinchers.
who's the customer?
- Updated 6/29/2016Six Tips to Writing Better Copy — Make your headlines and paragraphs more effective by following these six easy copywriting tips.
make it sing
- Updated 6/28/2016Marketers can move mountains by adding a printed catalog to their marketing mix — See how print can help you build customers and increase order size.
- Updated 11/18/2015How To Write Headlines That Surprise The Brain — Research shows how substituting a word in a familiar expression causes the brain of a reader to snap to attention.
- Updated 11/17/2015Two Great Infographics to Evaluate Your Website — Check out these two infographics to help you evaluate your website's elements and review key stats.
- Updated 8/31/2015Infographic: Connecting with Millennials — Is your content successfully reaching millennials? Compare your strategies to these surefire tips and get more shares from your content.
- Updated 11/20/2014Sponsored Content Trends — Sponsored content is emerging as the newest form of scalable online advertising.
- Updated 2/16/2014Fantastic SEO Infographic — Brafton infographic shows how content is the future of SEO.
see the graphic
- Updated 1/22/2014SEO: Important Google Keyword Changes — New Google policies make it harder to find the keywords you need to optimize for search engines.
- Updated 1/6/2014How to Optimize Your Landing Pages — Customized landing pages can improve campaign results up to a 70%.
- Updated 8/30/201310 Ways to Fill Your Story Pipeline — Trying to come up with story ideas for your newsletter or blog? Here are ten ways to jumpstart your effort.
- Updated 8/1/2013Response Rates and Gender — Does your marketing subtly appeal to one gender more than the other? What can you do about it?
read the research
- Updated 7/25/2013Ultimate Guide to Text Abbreviations — It may be mind-boggling but we easily compiled more than 1,600 abbreviations and acronyms used in texting.
- Updated 10/9/2012Holiday Marketing — What's your marketing plan for the holidays? Here are some great ideas to consider.
- Updated 10/4/2012Five Great Scatch-Off Ideas — Did you know we can print scratch cards for you? Instead of explaining the obvious, we came up with five sample concepts that incorporate scratch promotions.
reveal our ideas
- Updated 6/18/2012Situation Analysis — You can use a 5C framework to evaluate your marketing situation. Learn more.
creating a 5c analysis
Offset Printing and Coatings
- Updated 5/5/2020Reminder: Holland Litho Prints Packaging — Recently we are doing our part by printing product packaging for essential items to help keep people safe from COVID-19.
- Updated 11/22/2019HLPS Invests in a New KBA Press — HLPS is excited to announce our investment in the KBA Rapida 106, one of the most advanced sheetfed presses in the world.
hot off the press
- Updated 11/21/2019View Our Packaging Samples! — We've updated our website with hundreds of packaging samples. Check them out!
print and fold!
- Updated 12/3/2018Why invest in preprinted letterhead? — Author Eddy Hagen shows us why quality preprinted letterhead and envelopes are a great idea.
- Updated 9/8/2018Take the Printing Terms Quiz — Our printing terms quiz is a test of 20 questions. See how many you can get right!
go to the printing terms quiz
- Updated 9/8/2018
- Updated 3/28/2018Always Start With the Envelope! — There are many different methods used to produce envelopes — with many factors to be considered in selecting the best method — including colors, artwork and quantity.
- Updated 3/24/2018Heavy Coverage... 10 Job-Saving Tips — 10 tips to keep in mind when your print job has heavy ink coverage.
heavy coverage design
- Updated 3/24/2018Rich Black Ink — Make your black backgrounds deeper and richer by adding some color to the 100% black ink.
here's how to create rich black
- Updated 1/30/2018Green Printing: Focus on UV Ink — We thought you might be interested in some of the many benefits of ultraviolet (UV) ink.
- Updated 10/26/2017Holland Litho Now Offers Spot UV Coating! — To get a spot gloss on dull UV coating, we can now offer a new process called cancellation/strike through varnish. Check it out!
see some samples
- Updated 8/16/2017Holland Litho invests in a new, versatile 5-color offset press — Our state-of-the-art KBA press is a Swiss Army Knife of all-in-one-pass options!
- Updated 7/11/2017Product Focus: UV Coating — Did you know UV coating looks great and can protect your print jobs from automation damage and even normal wear?
- Updated 7/10/2017Varnish, Coatings and Other Effects — Want to know more about varnish? This tutorial says it all!
- Updated 6/29/2016Large Volume, High-End Print Work! — We like to talk about our new technologies and their bells and whistles, but let's not forget about our history of high-quality prepress and offset printing, a place where high-end doesn't mean expensive.
- Updated 2/24/2016Video: time-lapse of KBA Press Installation — Watch this three-minute video of our seven day KBA press installation.
- Updated 1/12/2016Just for Fun: Test Your Press Knowledge — Take our fun, ten-question quiz to test your knowledge of digital and offset printing. It just takes a moment!
take our press test
- Updated 3/25/2021Packaging Design: Thoughts to Consider — Good packaging design should take into account more than appearance.
- Updated 3/25/2021Packaging Concepts and Considerations — There are three potential components of product packaging: outer packaging, inner packaging and product packaging.
- Updated 3/25/2021Printing Your Packaging — Holland Litho can work with you to help you execute your packaging concept.
- Updated 3/23/2021Does HLPS Print Packaging? We Sure Do! — First impressions are everything. This is especially true for your packaging. Here's how we can help.
the die is cast
- Updated 3/23/2021HLPS Prints Winning Entry for National Hardware Show Packaging Award — The project was for Walters Seed Company and won the 2015 award for best packaging.
see the winner
- Updated 3/23/2021Holland Litho Produces Packaging! — Did you know that Holland Litho can produce many packaging projects? For short to medium runs, we are often more competitive than traditional packaging printers!
package it with holland litho
- Updated 3/23/2021Five Great Packaging Resources — Whether you are launching a new product or redesigning the packaging of an existing one, sometimes it helps to be inspired by great work.
discover 5 great sites
- Updated 3/23/2021Packaging Made Easy: the Auto-Bottom Box — With Holland Litho's auto-bottom box, the bottom comes pre-glued. When you pull two opposite corners, it springs into place
your product in here
- Updated 3/23/2021Holland Litho: Your Packaging Partner — Did you know that Holland Litho can produce packaging? For short to medium runs, we are often more competitive than traditional packaging printers!
- Updated 3/31/2023Paper and the Circular Economy — Paper-based materials are becoming the go-to replacement as companies look to improve sustainability.
- Updated 3/31/2023Facts are Stubborn Things: The Truth About Paper and Deforestation — North American paper products are not a cause of deforestation, no matter how many times some ENGOs say it.
- Updated 9/23/2022FSC Certification: What Does It Mean? — Paper products often carry a label showing that they are certified. But what does that really mean?
what's the story?
- Updated 8/3/2022Are electronic communications greener than print? Not so much — A recent Washington Post article does a good job debunking the greenwashing myth.
get the facts
- Updated 5/18/2022Holland Litho: Statement on Paper Availability — Minimizing the impact of the paper shortage on our customers is the top priority for Holland Litho and its employees.
- Updated 4/27/2022Paper Supply: Why It's Tight — A Holland Litho representative recently attended an enlightening webinar on paper supply. We thought we'd share the notes.
- Updated 12/16/2021Paper Challenges — For larger runs, paper and envelopes are harder to come by. Here's why, and what you can do about it.
- Updated 12/14/2021Paper and the Circular Economy — Two Sides NA produced this insightful analysis of how paper fits into a recycle-and-reuse economic model.
- Updated 5/11/2021Paper in Stock? — Do you stock that? When talking about paper for a project, that's the question we are often asked.
- Updated 11/21/2019Video: How Paper Is Made — Choose from both an article and a video on the process of manufacturing paper from start to finish.
paper in the making
- Updated 10/1/2019Paper Thickness and Weight — How thick is a given weight of paper? It all depends on the type of paper it is. Confused? Read this and you won't be.
more on paper thickness
- Updated 3/24/2018The Right Paper — Ever wonder which stock you should specify for which type of project? Wonder no more; they are all listed here!
go to paper uses article
- Updated 11/27/2017Video: The Importance of Sustainable Forestry — Know the truth about recycling, where paper comes from and the importance of sustainable forestry.
- Updated 7/10/2017Paper Glossary — Here's the key to keeping up when inundated with paper jargon. This one's a keeper!
go to glossary article
- Updated 7/10/2017Understanding Paper Brightness — Brightness not only determines how vibrant an image is but also determines a paper's color cast. Explained.
- Updated 6/29/2016Scientific American: Brains Prefer Reading Paper — SA cites 200+ studies showing human brains prefer reading text on paper rather than screens.
- Updated 4/4/2016Video: Two Sides - Busting more Myths about Print and Paper — Two Sides North America has a great video busting the myth that print may not be environmentally friendly.
watch the video
- Updated 6/18/2012When Do You Need a Paper Merchant? — If you require assistance frequently with exotic stocks or paper research issues, we can introduce you to a specialist known as a paper merchant.
learn more about paper merchants
Post-Press and Bindery
- Updated 3/4/2021Holland Litho Invests in a New CAD Cutting and Scoring Machine — Holland Litho continues its investment in technologies to help us meet your printing and packaging needs with the addition of the Colex Sharpcut Pro.
- Updated 2/27/2019Are You Kitting? — Holland Litho can help you print, manage, warehouse and distribute your communications.
- Updated 10/17/2017Folding Calculator — Select the type of folded piece you want, the stock, the flat or final size, the number of panels, etc. and in an instant the measurements are laid out for you. Cool.
say no to rulers
- Updated 8/1/2017Product Focus: Loop Stitching — Loop stitching is a great bindery option for brochures or catalogs that need to be included in a three-ring binder. They lie flat while opened, unlike materials that rely on drilled holes.
learn more loop stitching
- Updated 2/24/2017HLPS: Come Into the Fold! — Unique among printers is HLPS' awesome folding articles and calculator. Take advantage of these great resources right on the hollandlitho.com website.
- Updated 6/29/2016Pocket Folder Manufacturing: 8 Step Guide — Wondering how pocket folders and other die-cut projects are made? Here's a step-by-step guide.
see the 8 steps
- Updated 6/29/2016Round Cornering Capability — We now can soften the edge of your printed piece by adding round-corner finishing to your business cards, brochures and any other project.
take the edge off
- Updated 6/17/2012Folding: Common Terms and Diagrams — Here you will find a wide range of diagrams to help you understand your folding options. If you need a folding dummy, just let us know.
- Updated 5/18/2022How To Guide: Creating Bleed — We wrote this article for new designers to help you understand how to set up images and pages that will contain elements that bleed off the page.
- Updated 3/3/2022Holland Litho Purchases New Offline UV Coater — Holland Litho has produced new sample printed pieces intended to demonstrate the capabilities of its new offline UV coater.
- Updated 4/30/2021Supply Chain Challenges Hit the Printing Industry — So far we've largely avoided supply chain challenges, but we're seeing potential disruptions in some areas.
QR Codes and Augmented Reality
- Updated 9/8/2018Getting Started with QR Codes — QR codes explained and suggested actions to take to get QR savvy.
- Updated 9/6/20175 Great Videos Explain Augmented Reality — Five videos chosen to demonstrate augmented reality, the process of superimposing digital content onto real-world items.
see it augmented
- Updated 8/2/2017Updating Your Print for QR Codes — We discuss four areas of your print footprint that need to be updated in the age of QR codes and smart phones.
what you need to update
- Updated 8/2/2017Update on QR Codes — What is a QR code? How are they being used? Who invented it?
get the skinny on qr codes
- Updated 8/2/2017Moving Beyond Static QR Codes — Drill down into your marketing ROI with the details derived from 1:1 QR codes!
qr gets personal
- Updated 8/2/2017Ten Reasons to Include a QR Code — Read 10 great reasons why you should consider integrating a QR code into your next print campaign.
reasons one to ten
Social Sites and Email
- Updated 3/24/2018Best Day and Time to Send Emails? — The research is in on the best days and times of days to send your emails.
is it conclusive?
- Updated 11/20/2014Infographic: Twitter Tips — This infographic from Fusework Studios shows how you can get the most from Twitter.
- Updated 6/24/2013Ensuring Email Deliverability — You spend a lot of time creating your email marketing campaigns. Make sure they get delivered.
- Updated 2/15/2023USPS: Postage Rates Increase as of January 2023 — The USPS announced a significant increase in postage rates for 2023. Here's a summary; call us for details.
see the rates
- Updated 2/2/20232023 USPS Promotions and Incentives — Here's the details regarding 2023 USPS promotional offers and how Holland Litho can help.
get the details
- Updated 9/27/2022USPS Postage Discount Promotions for 2022 — USPS is offering promotions surrounding color, mobile and Informed Delivery through December 31, 2022
- Updated 6/23/2022USPS: postage rates increase as of July 2022 — The USPS announced a significant increase in postage rates for 2022. Here's a summary; call us for details.
- Updated 6/23/2022Case Study: EDDM vs. Border Saturation Mailings — Here's a comparison of project size and price when using EDDM vs. Saturation by Border.
review the case
- Updated 1/30/2022January 2022 Postage Prices See No Increase for Mailers — To the relief of mailers, the postage increases announced on January 9 did not increase prices for regular mail.
- Updated 10/4/2021Save 2% on postage with the 2021 Informed Delivery promotion — Enjoy big savlngs with easy-to-implement Informed Delivery with the Fall 2021 promotion that runs from Sept. 1 through Nov. 30.
- Updated 8/31/2021USPS: postage rates increase for the second time in 2021 — The USPS announced its second increase in postage rates for 2021. Here's a summary; call us for details.
get the latest
- Updated 7/28/2021Celebrating 2021's Stamps — The stamp you choose to adorn your envelope adds an extra important touch! This is a partial list of the 2021 stamp program.
- Updated 4/29/2021Tips to Avoid Damaged Direct Mail — Recommendations to minimize automation damage as your direct mail piece is processed by the Post Office.
enough with the scuff
- Updated 7/23/2020Save 2% on Postage Costs This Fall with the Informed Delivery Promotion — Enjoy big savlngs with easy-to-implement Informed Delivery with the Fall 2020 promotion that runs from Sept. 1 through Nov. 30.
- Updated 2/14/2020Reminder: Donor Receipts Must Be Mailed First Class — Acknowledgments of organizations or individuals who make donations are considered financial documents.
know the rules
- Updated 8/30/2019Informed Visibility: all new insights into mail delivery — Holland Litho is pleased to announce the roll-out of a whole new way for you to view the details of your mailing.
all new insights
- Updated 8/30/2019Putting Informed Delivery to Work for Your Direct Mail — What does this mean for mailers? Review the six key components of an Informed Delivery campaign right here.
- Updated 6/6/2019Informed Delivery, the USPS Mail Preview Service — Informed Delivery is a USPS program that emails consumers images of the mail they will receive that day.
- Updated 1/30/2019The Art and Science of Mailbox Arrival Windows — Sometimes, customers want a specific in home delivery window. Not too soon, not too late. What's the best strategy to accomplish this?
right on time
- Updated 7/31/2018See Who Viewed Your Piece Using USPS Informed Delivery — Did you know you can get a snapshot of who viewed your piece online using Informed Delivery, the USPS service that allows consumers to preview what will be in their mailbox?
- Updated 1/28/2018New Postage Rates for January 2018 — As has become custom, January is ushering in a new set of postage rates from the USPS. Here's a summary of the changes.
- Updated 10/26/2017A Day in the Life of the USPS — Even with the volume of mail Holland Litho manages locally, we found the USPS national statistics astounding!
usps by the numbers
- Updated 10/3/2017Taking Advantage of the NCOA Database — The NCOA database helps you ensure your mail gets to its recipient, improving deliverabiity and getting the most from your marketing.
go to the ncoa article
- Updated 6/29/2016NCOA: National Change of Address — Lean more about NCOA, a secure, licensed service from the USPS to keep your lists up to date.
learn about ncoa
- Updated 4/7/2016USPS Retail, Commercial Rates Set to Decrease April 10, 2016 — A recession-era surcharge on postal rates is expiring, and the USPS will effectively decrease postage rates.
how much savings?
- Updated 1/27/2016Bipartisan Support to Tackle USPS Funding Issues — There is bipartisan support in Congress for a bill to reform the USPS and make it more solvent.
where it stands
- Updated 6/16/2015Alert: USPS Price Increase Approved with Effective Date of May 31, 2015 — Here is a summary of the recently approved USPS price changes. Call us with any questions!
see the new prices
- Updated 1/8/2015Postal Inspectors Warn of Email Fraud — USPS Postal Inspection Service warns of trojan horse email spam. Beware of what shows up in your inbox!
- Updated 4/11/2013USPS Address Panel Updates — A fantastic PDF detailing the new requirements for the address panel for any Standard Mail project, i.e. direct mail.
usps address panel
- Updated 2/27/2013USPS Mailing Panel Location Change: Important! — The USPS has changed folded mailpiece requirements effective January, 2013. Here is a summary of the changes.
new address panel requirements
- Updated 2/25/2013Creating a USPS IMb Mailer ID — Follow these simple steps to create your own USPS Mailer ID.
Work and Play
- Updated 12/14/2020Please Consider Shopping Local This Holiday Season — This year, it's really important to support our local merchants.
- Updated 12/14/2020A Year Like No Other — How the story of how Holland Litho continued to excel despite the pandemic.
- Updated 8/2/2020The Eggcorn Is Born — An eggcorn is an unintended pun of sorts. A term only recently coined, it's taken on a life of its own.
eat your corny
- Updated 9/25/201999 Ways to Win an Argument — In a perfect world, best ideas win. In the real world, recognize these logical fallacies.
- Updated 1/28/2019iPhones, Androids and Print Production — It may be tempting to edit and send us a file from your smart phone or approve a proof from your iPad. We find the technology is not quite ready.
- Updated 9/11/2018How to Quickly Identify Counterfeit Currency — Check out these three simple ways to determine if your larger denomination US currency is authentic.
- Updated 2/27/2018Hammered Grammar — These jokes, compiled by a dictionary blog, will have every editor out there laughing.
- Updated 12/18/2017The True Meaning of Christmas — It's that time of year again. December has come and with it all the joys of Christmas. But what is the true meaning of Christmas?
- Updated 10/11/2017A Tale of a Cat Who Killed My Mac — When the cat recently wrecked the Mac, we learned some lessons the hard way that all laptop users should heed.
- Updated 8/1/2017Video: Very Funny Ikea Catalog TV Commercial — This Ikea television ad highlights the user-friendliness of its print campaign, spoofing a MacBook campaign.
- Updated 7/11/2017
- Updated 4/17/2017HLPS Opens Its Doors to a Teacher and His Students — HLPS hosted a teacher and his rural students on a field trip of our plant, providing them with a vision for a real-world career path.
- Updated 9/29/2016Available: Creative, Print Production Guru — A friend of HLPS is looking for full-time or project work and we can strongly recommend him.
- Updated 7/25/2016Lessons Learned from a Young Bassoonist — Why would a gifted musician choose such an obscure instrument?
learn about the bassoon
- Updated 12/16/20158 Jokes for the Holiday Season — A good joke can come in handy this time of year. Here are eight bad ones.
laugh a little
- Updated 10/30/2015How a Printing Error Gave Us a Green Incredible Hulk — Stan Lee, the creator of the Incredible Hulk, originally envisioned a grey-skinned hulk. Lucky for him, it printed green.
green with envy
- Updated 2/14/2013Guide to Google Advanced Search — This is one of the easiest-to-follow guides on Google searches you will ever find. Case study based, live links to each example.
amp your search
- Updated 12/19/2012Taking Flight with Mercy Air — Mercy Air took us on a flight over Holland with one of their new aircraft.
the view's great from here