in Basics: PDFs
How to Create a One-Time, Reusable PDF Set-Up
We thought we'd take a moment and remind everyone of where to find and how to install the job options files for the Adobe platform. Just download the file and follow the instructions below.
Here are PDF settings for InDesign that, when used by our customers, will setup the PDF correctly for commercial printing. These job options correctly set color conversion, image compression, fonts, transparency, etc. We've seen other PDF job options settings add too much black when converting for example, resulting in muddy images. Keep in mind you should not place your large images into your layout at a small percentage. We've found that in some instances, this can introduce a moiré pattern into the image.
You should first resize them to the correct physical size in Photoshop before placing them, if you are placing them at less than 80% of their size. Or use an application add-on for InDesign called LinkOptimizer, which can batch scale your images for you.
Print Settings to make PDFs out of InDesign/Illustrator/Photoshop.
To add these settings to InDesign/Illustrator/Photoshop:
- First, download the HLPS joboptions file: HLPSPrintOutput.joboptions.zip.
- Go to the File menu in InDesign, and the Edit menu in Illustrator/Photoshop.
- Click on 'Adobe PDF Presets' and then 'Define'.
- A dialog box will open, then click 'Import...' or 'Load...' (CS3 & 4).
- Select the file you downloaded from step one above.
- Then when making a PDF select 'Export' from the File menu for InDesign, and 'Save As' from the File menu for Illustrator/Photoshop.
- Select where you want to save the file, and what type of file to export as (PDF).
- Then when exporting file as PDF, select 'Prinergy PDF Export_HLS' from the Adobe PDF Preset pull-down menu.